Book Delivery Overview
Ride for Reading (RfR) Book Deliveries are the reason why RfR was created in 2008. In 2019, RfR was able to deliver over 8,000 books to over 3,000 children thanks to our wonderful volunteer bike riders and book readers.
Looking to start volunteering on deliveries? You can do so by volunteering in one of the below roles.
- Ride your bike 3 to 7 miles from a designated public meeting area to our selected Metro Nashville Public School.
- Carry books via backpack or trailer to the school.
- Don’t have a bike? Don’t worry, we will connect you with one of the many great local bike shops in the area!
- Read/speak to elementary children, grades Pre-K to 5th grade.
- Great for group volunteering and corporate giving.
Book Delivery and Event Volunteer opportunities will be posted on OUR CALENDAR with a link to register.
If you are interested in joining one of our book deliveries as a corporate or group volunteer event, please send us an e-mail at email@example.com.
2020 Book Delivery Schedule
- March 2 – A.Z. Kelley Elementary (Antioch)
- April 2 – Warner Arts Magnet Elementary (East Nashville) **POSTPONED**
- May 8– Waverly Belmont Elementary (12 South) **POSTPONED**
- June 3 -Plaza Mariachi/Hispanic Family Foundation (Inglewood) **POSTPONED**
- August 5 – Ruby Major Elementary (Hermitage) **POSTPONED**
- September 8 – Paragon Mills Elementary (South Nashville) **POSTPONED**
- October 2 – Shwab Elementary (East Nashville)
- November 1 – Tusculum Elementary (Nashville)
Summer Book Distribution
We are excited to share that Ride for Reading will be partnering with Metro Nashville Parks and Recreation Community Centers and other Organizations this Summer to distribute books to children throughout various Nashville communities. Many of the Metro Nashville Park & Rec youth programs are going virtual but families can pick up Grab-n-Go breakfast/lunch meals at their locations Monday-Friday – and now BOOKS too!
If you, or anyone you know, is in need of breakfast/lunch, as well as books, contact your local Community Center!
Follow us on our social media to see where books are being distributed! Here is a list of Community Centers that we will be distributing to, with more being added throughout the Summer:
REGIONAL COMMUNITY CENTERS
NEIGHBORHOOD COMMUNITY CENTERS
Antioch Community Center
Cleveland Community Center
Easley Community Center at Rose Park
Hermitage Community Center
Kirkpatrick Community Center
McFerrin Community Center
Morgan Community Center
Shelby Community Center
South Inglewood Community Center
Watkins Community Center
Plaza Mariachi/Hispanic Family Foundation
BOOK DELIVERY FAQs
Here is a list of some of the most common FAQ’s for our Ride for Reading Book Deliveries. Click HERE to download a printable version of the FAQs. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Where do you meet for the delivery?
The meetup location will vary based on the location of the School, Community Center or facility that we are delivering to. It is usually within 2-6 miles of our destination.
2. Do I have to ride a bike?
No. A bike is not required to participate. RfR was founded with the mission of riding bikes, so we do encourage riding a bike to promote healthy-living. You can “ride” anything that will allow you to keep up with the group. We have alternate options if you do not have a bike. You may also sign up to just read to the children.
3. How long is the bike ride?
The distance of the bike ride varies for each delivery, however it will usually be under 10 miles round-trip. Average mileage is 3-6 miles. We will all stay together in a group and will ride at a slow pace.
4. How do we get the books there?
Volunteers gather at a meeting spot to load up their books in backpacks, trailers, paniers, etc. We ask that volunteers bring their own backpacks but we usually have a few extra on hand if needed.
5. How long does a book delivery last?
Book Deliveries usually last 2-2 1/2 hours in length due to loading up books, the bike ride itself, the RfR program at the school and travel back to our meeting point. We understand this is during work hours for many and we appreciate you taking time to volunteer with us! We are learning that many employers are now offering paid time off for volunteering in the community and this is a great opportunity to serve children in your community and get a short bike ride in too.
6. Why are deliveries during the weekday?
We are delivering to schools so our deliveries are scheduled when students are at school.
7. How do I register to ride/read for an event?
We will provide a link to sign up to register for each event. This helps us with planning so we ask that you pre-register as soon as you can. When delivering sometimes over 1,000 books, we need to confirm we have enough riders to help us transport the books, as well as readers at the school.
8. Why do I have to sign a waiver?
Since we are riding our bikes, there is always liability involved. We require that everyone wears a helmet. We also encourage everyone to stay together and are often escorted by Police. We take all precautions for safety.
9. What do we do once we get to the school?
Children will usually be lined up outside to greet us with cheers, high-fives, signs, etc. Best welcome party ever! We will ride past them and will enter the school where they direct us. If you signed up to talk about your bike, we can bring those inside. Some bikes will remain outside in a safe area. We encourage everyone to interact with the kids. We want to create a memorable experience for them and sometimes that is just as simple as a one-on-one conversation with you.
10. What do I do if I signed up to read?
Volunteer Readers will help transport books over to the school by meeting us at our meeting spot and following us to school. Following the RfR presentation and the children picking out their books, someone from the School will coordinate readers to be matched up with students/classes. We ask that readers only read 1 book due to limited time (approx. 20-25 min).
Click HERE to download a printable version of the FAQs.